Monday, August 29, 2011

Training Wheels & Bat Caves


To my readers,

As I’ve expressed before, I love super hero movies. 

It could be that I love the heroic overtones.  It could be the super cool special effects. It could be that justice is being carried out against the wicked.  Or it could be that I am jealous of their awesome underwear-on-the-outside costumes. 

Don’t worry, Halloween only comes once a year.

However, one the best box office hits for that gave new hope for the super hero movie genre was the movie Batman Begins. 

There is this scene in the movie where our hero, Bruce Wayne, is a child and falls down a small shaft into what turns out to be a bat-cave.  Before long Bruce’s father comes to rescue him carrying him back into the house.  It’s inside the house that his father asks him this question,


It took me forever to want to take the training wheels off my bike.  Why is this? Because the first time I tried riding my bike without them, I fell down.  I scraped my knee and my hands.  I never wanted to ride a bike again.

I ran inside crying.
It was humiliating.
And it hurt, a lot.

There is a proverb in the Old Testament that reads,
The godly may trip seven times, but they will get up again.  But one disaster is enough to overthrow the wicked.” Proverbs 24:16, NLT.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen down. 

I can’t count the amount of times I’ve made mistakes. 

But the one thing that remained constant in all of these times and disasters was that I got back up.  I relayed on the one person who is the same yesterday, today, and forever, Jesus.  I turned to my rock that can never be shaken. Its here I took the time to cry and hurt, but to also find strength to try again.

The truth is that if I hadn’t ever rode my bike again, I would have never learned to ride it without training wheels. 

We give up too easily.

We will scrape our knees doing the things we love.  But we get take the time to bandage our scrapes and we get back on the bicycle. When we focus on Christ to not only heal us, but to guide our bike we will find ourselves riding in a cross country race. However, know we won’t be able to ride a cross country race two days into this journey. 

It’s a process.

But it first requires us taking that step of faith in removing the training wheels.  It requires falling down.  It requires failing.  It requires falling down.  But it requires getting back up again. Then we try again over and over until we are riding that incredibly race.

So why do we fall? Show me.

Simply,
Tex G.M. Rule-
The godly may trip seven times, but they will get up again.  But one disaster is enough to overthrow the wicked.” Proverbs 24:16, NLT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Needed to hear it! Thanks man!

-Eric (ps. I am batman)