Friday, August 5, 2011

Ninja Turtles & Omniscient Parents

To my readers,

When I was a kid, I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Not only were they ninjas, they were super-cool turtles that were ninjas. They even said great phrases such as, “Cowabunga” and ate pizza all day.  For a five-year old boy, the TMNT were the coolest thing in the world. 

I liked them so much that I had every action figure you could find. No exaggeration.  I had turtles upon turtles and all their enemies.

I was a pretty well behaved kid, but there were times I got into mischief.  The reason I say this, is because at one point my mom decided to try a different tactic for when I misbehaved. The new tactic was whenever I acted up, she would make me give her three of my action figures that she would keep for a set amount of time that she saw fair.

I decided one time to try and trick my mom into giving her the villain characters. I figured she wouldn’t know the difference.  Plus, who couldn’t go a few days without Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady attacking the city? My mom instantly knew and made me go back and give her my favorite ones. 

Busted.

There is a Proverb in the Old Testament that reads,
Even Death and Destruction hold no secrets from the Lord.  How much more does he know the human heart!” Proverbs 15:11, NLT.
How often do we try to hide things from God?

Too often we offer a part of our hearts or lives to God.  We walk into worship lay only a part of our heart on the alter and say, “This is everything.” We try to not only hide this from God and those around us, but worse, ourselves.

We try to get by with giving God as little as possible. 

We want to have control of our lives.  Giving everything to God means giving up control of everything.  It literally means laying everything on the line and letting God have complete control.

We are afraid.

We’re afraid things won’t go as we want, people will think we are crazy, or we will look weak.  We are simply afraid that life won’t turn out as we desire. 

I propose you this request.  Ask a relative older than you if life turned out how they planned. I bet their answer will be amazing.

We love to ask God for help, but we don’t let him direct it. 

Why not give your life to the only one who can guide your life?

Let go.  He knows what Ninja Turtles we’re hiding behind our back.  Let him have all of your life.  There is freedom in letting go. Find freedom in offering all of our life to Jesus. 

Simply,
Tex G.M. Rule
Even Death and Destruction hold no secrets from the Lord.  How much more does he know the human heart!” Proverbs 15:11, NLT.

No comments: