Saturday, August 27, 2011

Spilt Glasses & Childish Reactions


To my reader,

It was everywhere. 

A friend had spilt his glass of water.  Within the few seconds his water had spilt, it had already spread across the table pouring over the edge onto my lap.  Not only did we have a spilt glass, but I looked as though I peed myself. 

I am sure it was a sight.

Between the four of us at the table, it was only one friend who acted and grabbed napkins to dry the table.  The rest of us were struck with deer-in-headlight.

It’s a good thing this happen a long time ago while I was a kid.

And by a long time ago, I actually mean this happened yesterday with my roommates.

In the New Testament there is a letter the Apostle Paul writes to the church in Corinth.  In it he writes,
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child.  But when I grew up, I put away childish things.” 1 Corinthians 13:11, NLT.
The sad part about this incident at the restaurant was we all acted as children would.  Of the four of us, only one stayed calm and started to act dry the mess. 

Though this is such a small incident, how often do we still do childish things in our lives following Christ?

When we don’t get our way, we throw tantrums. 
When people wrong us, we hold grudges.
When people talk about us, we gossip back.
When someone cuts us off on the freeway, we say interesting rap lyrics.

We're the kid at the mall screaming.  This kid may have a legitimate reason to be screaming, but to everyone around him, he's just screaming.

Even though we have a right to be upset and angry over situations and events in our lives, we don’t have to claim these rights. Jesus calls us to walk a different path beyond what the world deems as right or wrong. 

In fact, Jesus tells us when someone has wrong us we need to forgive them.

I am not saying this is something easy to do. I am saying the opposite. It’s incredibly difficult. To be honest, I have to work on this everyday. 

Why don't we want to do this? 

Because its hard, it hurts, and it requires us to put ourselves aside.   This is what makes it a spiritual mature action over a childish reaction. 

This does not mean we won’t struggle with this when events happen. You may need some time before you move forward, but don’t use this as an excuse to wallow in your pain, anger, insert childish reaction here. Take it as a time to access your heart and where Christ is guiding you.

When these situations happen, we must turn to Jesus for guidance. 

Be open and honest about the situation.  If you’re angry, tell him you’re upset.  If you’re hurt, be honest.  It’s from a place of humble brokenness and honesty that God can begin to work.  

Ask him to give you strength to step out beyond what you want to do to what you should do.  Ask him to help you put away the childish things and to remember the things he taught. 

That forgiveness heals bitterness, that grace outweighs disappointment, and love overcomes everything. 

Simply,
Tex G.M. Rule
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child.  But when I grew up, I put away childish things.” 1 Corinthians 13:11, NLT.

No comments: