Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Text Messages & Awkward Responses


To my readers,

As an intern, some of the jobs I'm given aren’t always what I would call prestigious. However, every once in a while I get handed a project with the opportunity to knock it out of the park. This past project, I did just that. The next day I woke up to a text message from my boss that read, “You did a great job yesterday! Keep it up!"

I have to be honest.  I felt good reading this message.  I had done well.  Way to go me!

But then I realized I had a dilemma.  To make things worst, its my boss- a pastor giving me this compliment. I didn’t want to come across arrogant, but humble, yet confident, and still grateful.

How was I going to respond to this?

I didn’t want to come across with the response that turns the compliment around on the person giving the compliment.  “Thank you, but I really appreciated the opportunity to be able to work for such a great boss.  I learned from the best there is!”

I wanted confidence in my message, however, I didn’t want to come across like a rock star that is overconfident.  This response usually begins with,  “I know, but thanks for saying so. I always do a great job!”

However, I didn’t want to straight out come across too humble.  This response always ends up with a Jesus-juke* just waiting to come out. (*coined by Jon Acuff, if you don't understand what a Jesus-juke is- read here).  No I didn’t do a great job.  I appreciate you thinking so. In all honesty, its Jesus that is great.  He did the greatest job we ever could do!

After over-thinking, analyzing, and writing out several text message answers, I realized two hours had nearly gone by.  I realized that I was overreacting and needed to just respond.

What did I do?

I didn’t respond

The next day my boss asked me, “Hey, did you get my text?”
I quickly responded with “Yes, I did.”
Why didn’t you respond?”

Busted.  I shared with him the story of my previous day’s over-thought response.  He laughingly responded, “A simple thank you would have sufficed. Oh, Tex.” 

Simply, 
Tex G.M. Rule
"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ." Philippians 3:8, NLT. 


No comments: