Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Weight & Words: Wanting it more than anything else

To my Readers;

One show I have always enjoyed watching is NBC’s “The Biggest Loser.” Since the show first aired in 2004, it has quickly become one the TV’s most loved shows. People all over America have found this show heart warming and inspiring. One thing I absolutely love about this show is these very different people’s incredible determination to beat their battle with obesity.

One particular cast member that I completely enjoyed was Season 9’s winner Michael Ventrella. Michael started the show as the Biggest Loser’s heaviest contestant, having a starting weight of 526 lbs. When asking how He felt, Michael said, “At 526 pounds, nobody at that weight can ever feel any sense of hope.” However, by the end of the show; Michael had lost 50.19%, weighing out at 262lbs. He had lost a grand total of 264 lbs. Michael broke every record the show had, including losing over 30 lbs in his first week on the show and being the quickest to lose 100lbs. When asked what got Michael through the show, he responded saying:

“I realized, ‘You know what? I’m going to give it everything I got to battle this and tackle this because I’m done with being like this."

I found this to be such a true statement. Essentially Michael won this battle because he wanted it more than anything else in the world. I know there are many times where I’ve allowed my relationship with God to suffer simply because I wasn’t giving it everything I had. When it comes to our faith, we must have the same determination Michael had.

In the scriptures there is a man named Joshua. He had lead the Israelites for a number a years and towards the end of his life he called all the Israelites together. It was here Joshua says the last thing recorded of him speaking to the nation of Israel. After reminding them of all the miracles God has already done for them, He says:

“So honor the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord alone. But if you are unwilling to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:14-15, NLT)

He challenged the Israelites to choose whom they will worship. They wouldn’t be allowed to sit on the fence any longer. Once they had chosen, they were to do it wholeheartedly, no turning back. Like Michael Ventrella and his battle with obesity, they were choosing to serve God above anything else in the world. When we truly chose to follow God with everything we have are we actually beginning our journey. Going only half-hearted is no different than someone who is trying to half-heartedly lose weight: they will just end up back where they started if not worst off. If we choose the other things we desire over God, essentially we wont go anywhere spiritually.

So I challenge you: choose today who you will serve wholeheartedly. Will you choose to serve God above everything else in the world? And when you mess up, get back up and continue with your commitment, remembering a race isn’t run in a day, but all the days up until that day.

Simply,
Tex G.M. Rule

"I command you- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9, NLT

P.S. Here is a before and after picture of Michael Ventrella:


No comments: